Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"pamela" wrote in message
On 16:18 19 Nov 2017, soup wrote:

On 19/11/2017 15:55, Rod Speed wrote:

But it doesnt say that 1 in 20 adults CANT READ OR WRITE.

It claims that 1 in 20 would be unable read a bus timetable and
I dont believe that 1 in 20 school leavers can't use
facebook or twitter either. And plenty like cleaners dont
need to do better than literacy level 1 anyway. And I bet
plenty who the official test claim are at literacy level 1 or
below can use facebook and twitter fine, so the literacy level
test is just another academic wank as far as the real world is
concerned anyway.

Headline :-

"Illiterate Britain: 1 in 20 adults have reading age of a
5-year-old."

I take it 'they' take a reading age of 5 as functionally
illiterate

It 'says' a quarter of adults can't understand/use a timetable

If you want to see a country with really bad literacy rates then
take a look at Australia. The figures from the Audtralia Bureau
of Statistics is shocking. I wonder if any of their illiterates
post here.

"Eight million Australians with inadequate skills is about 53
percent of the working-age population"

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/0...cannot_read_or
_count/

And yet all but 5% have jobs. Just goes to show
what a complete wank the 'literacy rates' are.