Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 19:21:05 +1100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 15:14:05 +1100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 08:44:39 +1100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
news
Many can't expect to improve their lot. You seem to forget that
20-25%
of
the indigenous adult population are unable to read and write.

Oh bull****.

You are right - but the real numbers are still shocking, and 1 in
20 adults reportedly only have the reading age of a 5 year old.

Sure, but presumably most of those are recent immigrants and the
problem is with the language and not that they cant read or write at
all.

That is not how I took the reports that google popped up when I
searched
before writing that and I believe they were referring to native English
speakers.

Nope, that particular 'report' that claimed that 1 in 20
adults reportedly only have the reading age of a 5 year
old was talking about adults, not native english speakers.

The report is clearly referring to general literally skills,
not how badly (or otherwise) new arrivals speak English.

Yes, but if they can't speak english, they wouldn't be able to read or write
it.

Couple of my mates have married women who migrated here when they were
3, migrating with their parent in the late 40s. The parent have no english
at all
and the only communication with my mates is a wave when they show up.

That academic test of literacy level would claim that they couldn't
read or write but that just because they don't bother with english.