Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
JNugent[_4_] JNugent[_4_] is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On 18/11/2017 21:36, Fredxxx wrote:
On 18/11/2017 21:28, JNugent wrote:
On 18/11/2017 21:21, Fredxxx wrote:

On 18/11/2017 21:08, JNugent wrote:
On 18/11/2017 19:23, Fredxxx wrote:
On 18/11/2017 18:04, JNugent wrote:
Â*Â*Â* JNugent wrote:

Around here you couldn't get a shed for £65K and average
earnings are around the same.

And the moral of this story is...
...go north, young man. And get on the ladder.

Ah - right. So those excellent value houses can be bought close
to where well paid work is available? So much for the North/South
divide.

sigh
The discussion was about *average* property prices and an
assertion that everyone in the UK has been disadvantaged by
increases in them.
The assertion has been undermined by a few awkward facts.

Is that an admission that getting on the housing ladder is much
more difficult than when you got on it?

No, it isn't. And that's because, as I demonstrated, house prices in
the area where I bought my first property have *not* changed out of
proportion to average earnings in that area. Today (forty years
later, to the month), instead of saving around £1500 as deposit,
fees and initial moving costs, you'd need to save maybe ten grand.
But that is not out of kilter with the real value of £1500 back then.

When and where?

I have already mentioned the approximate location (that's all I shall
do): a town in the South Lancs Plain.

Thanks, but when?

I said that as well!

Third quarter of 1977.

Price? £7,200 asked; building society valuation: £7,000.

You don't come across as having any empathy with the younger
generation.

I have plenty of it. But not all of "the younger generation" are the
same.

Didn't you have children?

Indeed. Hard workers, well-qualified and earning more than I did.

I would hope so, and no doubt already with a house purchased prior to
2005 or earlier.

Maybe.

Given prices have doubled in real terms since 2000 hardly demonstrates
your empathy to the younger generation of today who can't afford a house.

House prices have not "doubled in real terms since 2000" in the area I
spoke of.

Properties which were then priced at about £6,000 to £7,000 can still be
found with asking prices of £45,000 to £50,000. That's over forty years
and does not represent any real terms increase. Flats (including recent
new builds) can be found even cheaper.

In any case, who do you think *buys* these houses? People who cannot
raise a deposit and mortgage repayments?