Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
JNugent[_4_] JNugent[_4_] is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On 18/11/2017 19:23, Fredxxx wrote:

On 18/11/2017 18:04, JNugent wrote:
Â*Â*Â* JNugent wrote:

Around here you couldn't get a shed for £65K and average earnings are
around the same.

And the moral of this story is...
...go north, young man. And get on the ladder.

Ah - right. So those excellent value houses can be bought close to where
well paid work is available? So much for the North/South divide.

sigh
The discussion was about *average* property prices and an assertion
that everyone in the UK has been disadvantaged by increases in them.
The assertion has been undermined by a few awkward facts.

Is that an admission that getting on the housing ladder is much more
difficult than when you got on it?

No, it isn't. And that's because, as I demonstrated, house prices in the
area where I bought my first property have *not* changed out of
proportion to average earnings in that area. Today (forty years later,
to the month), instead of saving around £1500 as deposit, fees and
initial moving costs, you'd need to save maybe ten grand. But that is
not out of kilter with the real value of £1500 back then.

You don't come across as having any empathy with the younger generation.

I have plenty of it. But not all of "the younger generation" are the same.

Didn't you have children?

Indeed. Hard workers, well-qualified and earning more than I did.