Posted to rec.woodworking
shiggins1 shiggins1 is offline

Default SEARS deal spotting

On 11/18/2017 10:48 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 9:26:51 AM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

Does look like a buy if in need/use 'em...what you think of the slightly
more expensive but larger apparently heavier(?) gray ones there???

I bit on a couple of sets of those. They are a little bit more heavily built, and the ones I compared in the store have a little bit heavier reinforcement where sewn together. For $7.50 a bag, I couldn't say no. As long as SEARS is with us they are covered by their warranty. To be fair, in the last 12-15 years of buying their bags, I have only had one fail. It was a 12" bag that was well overloaded and one of the seams pulled apart for about about 2", but it was double sewn so it didn't fail completely.

... we ALL KNOW SEARS IS GOING AWAY. No need to inform me, lecture me, ...

I just noticed yesterday the catalog store here has now closed
entirely...they were franchise operations, of course, not "Sears proper"
stores, but took down a local entrepreneur with them as well. In such a
small market as this, that is a noticeable loss; there's now only one
appliance retailer of any note at all left in town who doesn't have many
of the brands available through Sears for the choice...

Very sad. Like a lot of us, I grew up with SEARS simply being part of the landscape. I never gave it a thought, it was always around. When I started doing more with my contracting business and branched out a bit, I bought Craftsman tools for daily use and found them to be a solid buy. They had all kinds of tools under the Craftsman brand so I could wait until they had a sale on and get what I wanted at a fair price. They sold so many tools at the store I went to that they had "the tool barn", and area that was separated by isle configuration and funneled all the traffic to one way in/out. They did so much business that the tool barn even had its own cash register.

It was sad when I was there a couple of days ago. VERY few tools, almost no consumables (router bits, saw blades, etc.) and in some cases the tool displays were empty. Completely empty. That store has been there almost 50 years, and never have I seen it so barren. It's just sad.

Robert

Isn't it ironic that competition from mail order is what killed them, as
they invented it.

Steve