The Natural Philosopher

Default Stainless steel pipes.

Mark wrote:

My friend has got a leak in a 3-way compression joint on a stainless
steel pipe.

The joint is for the hot-water pipe to the bath.
It is a 'reducer' type - large diameter pipe in, large diameter pipe
to the tap and smaller diameter pipe out.

I'd like to replace this joint - or at least the washers.

I have 2 questions :-

1) Is fitting a compression joint to stainless steel pipes any more
difficult than fitting one to copper pipes?

Yes, very much so. The pipes do not 'waist' like copper ones do. A smear
of favourite goo will help, and possibly copper rather tha brass olives
if you can find them - far more malleable.

2) Given that these pipes are ~30 years old, will the pipe diameters
be 15mm & 22mm or 1/2" and 3/4"?

No idea - sorry.

I would NOT replace the joint frankly. If you can drain it down, I'd
disassemble it and dry as much as possible, and reassemble using some goo.

If the pipes have deformed, you will find it hard to get the old olives
off, and even harder to get a decent seal with new ones.

Thanks,
Mark.