Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW[_2_] ARW[_2_] is offline

Default Any DALI experts out there?

On 18/11/2017 11:08, Stephen Early wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
All 3 installations are doing the same thing.

The dimmer is also the DALI PSU

its this one

http://www.osram.com.au/media/resour...-rotary-dimmer

There is 17.5V at the DALI pair up to every light.

It's less than 100m to each driver and is 1.5mm^2.

That all sounds correct. I'd look at the drivers next, then. They
appear to be multi-protocol devices: is there a way to tell them to
ignore all inputs except for DALI? (I can't find a copy of their user
manual online, only a datasheet.) Is the DALI connection physically
separate from the DMX512 connection, or is it shared? Is there a DIP
switch setting to deactivate DMX512? Do you need to add a resistor
across the DMX512 input if it's unused? This might be a case of "ask
the manufacturer for advice" if the user manual doesn't say.

If you want to keep looking into what's happening on the DALI control
lines, the next step would be to get a DALI to USB interface (eg. the
Tridonic DALI-USB), connect it up and run the software that comes with
it that shows a log of all commands received. Unfortunately these are
a bit pricey (rip-off levels if you buy in the UK).

Swap the XXX for dam and email me. I'll send you the manual. You need to
be registered with them to get a copy.

And I have just looked up the price of a USB to RS 485 cable. It's a
good job I was sat down when I did.

Now tech support say that the DIP switch configuration is over ridden by
a DALI command, but I am going to try the resistor method.......