Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Hank[_9_] Hank[_9_] is offline

Default Domino capacitor with no color code

In article ,
wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 17:53:27 -0000 (UTC),
(Hank) wrote:

Well, since you're the "expert" on restoring old radios, do you really
need to be told how to restore a run-of-the mill AA5?

I dont recall saying that. Maybe you need a reading comprehension
course.

Well, I've read your posts here for a while, and it's pretty clear that
you want to argue with most of us who've mastered the mysteries of the
AA5 design. Time was that when I interviewed people for EE positions, I
had an AA5 schematic on the wall, and asked the prospect to talk me
through parts of the design. For a more advanced interview, I had a
schematic of an RCA 630-TS.

We started this newsgroup back in 1994 so that a few of us who had been
working with these circuits since WWII could guide newer people, as well
as swap some notes with each other.

You seem to want to flame people who say that restoration of
70-year-old electronics starts with wholesale replacement of R and C
passives. Some of us learned that the hard way back in the 1950's and
'60's.

First off, a 10,000 pf Micamold is a paper cap, not a mica. Most AA5's

That's deceiving. It's called a MICAmold. That would tell me that it's a
MICA cap.

Oh, really!?? I'm glad you know that stuff. In the meantime, if you
want to get that radio playing reliably, you'll round up a .01 mike 1000
volt cap and solder it in.

I sure am glad they pretty much standardized those parts by the late 50s
or early 60s.

I'll likely use a ceramic disk for that one. I am curiuous, since the
radio likely works without that cap, what is the real purpose for it?

Parasitic prevention/suppression.

Hank