Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
tim... tim... is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"pamela" wrote in message
On 14:34 17 Nov 2017, tim... wrote:

"pamela" wrote in message

Computer programming sounds like a breeze.

Not like real work and short hours. Great!

Despite several years of trying before I gave up completely, I
could never find anybody prepared to let me work short hours

It was like I had asked then to get me a slice of cheese from
the moon

tim

I can't really understand your work.... you had to work in several
European countries, which you didn't like,

I liked working in Europe

I didn't like the hassle of traveling there frequently.

for less money than you
should have had

That's a relative number

the point about the career that I chose, 38 years ago, is that the rates on
offer did not keep up with inflation from about half way through my time
doing the job

when I stopped work last year, standard rates for my skill set were the same
as I was being offered in 1997 - that's in cash terms.

and you now say you couldn't work fewer hours as you
would have preferred.

I didn't say that I couldn't live on that money. I just felt that my skills
had become "undervalued".

I got to the point where I had enough money available to me (courtesy of
400% rise in house prices) and decided to give up work.

In order to achieve that I cashed out the type of house that you would
expected a moderately successful middle agreed professional to live in and
now live in a starter home (and no I have no regrets about that. I like my
new home).

It's a wonder you stuck with it through all
that!

I have already explained that, with 20 years experience in a sub set of IT
aged 40, moving to a different, better paying, subset of IT is next to
impossible - Obviously some people get a lucky break and manage it, but most
do not.

tim