Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Yellow[_3_] Yellow[_3_] is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 17:15:29 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

On 17/11/2017 13:21, Yellow wrote:
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 13:00:23 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
1) Benefits on offer to the "wont work" are far too generous if an
unemployed person can say "I wouldn't get out of bed for 7.50 an
hour" and/or "I rather spend the time at home with my girlfriend".
We need to systematically reduce benefits for the fit and healthy the
longer they are on benefits.

I'd love to see the likes of you live on 7.50 an hour. But it will be
the usual 'don't do as I do, but do as I say'.

1200 per month, perhaps 1000 after taxes

3-400 on a room in a shared house

6-700 for other expenses

seems perfectly adequate to me

When starting out in your career that's what you have to do

and yes it IS what I did

Yes - when starting out in your career. You didn't make that distinction
when referring to unemployment benefits. And the young unemployed already
get less than the older.

Unemployment benefit is already far less than the OAP. Are you suggesting
that is super generous too?

Unemployment benefit is a small fortune of free money if you have few
expenses and a pittance if you have a family to support.

?????

The contributory rates are neither here nor there. It isthe means-tested
rates whichis where the action is.

A couple with three children get about £319 a week, plus housing costs
plus council tax paid, plus free prescriptions (if any) plus free school
meals.

Assuming housing costs and council tax to be about £600 a month in total
(no great amount these days), it comes to about £458 a week (£23816 a
year, which would be limited to £23,000 a year in London).

£23,000 a year net is the equivalent of something in excess of £29,000 a
year gross.

What were you saying? A "pittance"?

You have gone off on an tangent I did not intend and I was simply trying
to make the point that for people with no expenses, unemployment benefit
is a fair wack. And yes of course if you have kids, you can get a heck
of a lot more than just JSA.