Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stanley Router

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 8:30:11 PM UTC-6, Markem wrote:

He (my dad) died two years ago in December, the Stanley Router was
bought back in 1968 I think was not a cheap tool. The fact that it
runs like a champ only at just under 40 years

It was definitely NOT a cheap tool. Not cheaply made, and not cheap in purchase. At that time, Stanley had not "homeowner" or throwaway tool line. ALL of their products were made here and were considered trade or craftsman tools. We had two, just two tool stores here, and everyone else went to Sears, Montgomery Wards, and even Penney's for less hard working tools.

At those two stores, for me as a young man learning the trades, it was like going to church. The brands were Millers Falls, Blue Grass, Milwaukee (just a very few tools then), Porter Cable, Rockwell, and Stanley. EVERYTHING there was expensive, but you bought it there because it was meant to be used to make a living day in and day out. Unlike today's tools, they were meant to be repaired. You put switches, bearings, brushes and replaced an occasional broken part on those tools and they lasted for years.

Not as old, but the only drill I owned for years that was used to drill wood and and metal and also used a driver is a Milwaukee hole shooter. It is 42 years old, runs great, still has some power to it. When I could buy a Black and Decker drill for (literally) $7, this drill cost $115 or so.

Likewise my oldest circular saw. It is the same vintage, has had 3 or 4 triggers put in it, at least that many sets of brushes, and has had the bearings in it replaced 3 times. It is a Milwaukee, too. It is a Milwaukee because I couldn't afford the Millers Falls or Stanley top line circular saw.

So yeah, take it from someone that probably used that exact router from way back when, it is a great tool and still has a lot of road miles left on it..

might disprove Iggy's
thoughts, which carry's a weight less than a hydrogen atom nuclei.

And yet, you guys can't wait to respond to him. You drag him along in these threads, they take a bad turn and then no one wants to participate. I was personally hoping to hear more stories of guys that tools that had a special meaning to them, but when the threads devolve into responding to troll bait, the last few folks here that participate shrug their shoulders and walk off.

Isn't there any way you guys, knowing that he is a deliberately inflammatory troll, can find a way or the strength to ignore him?

Robert