Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default remove chimney and vent furnace outside

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 10:14:09 PM UTC-5, Jake wrote:
replying to trader4, Jake wrote:
It's far more than a matter of energy savings. I agree that it makes no sense
to replace a working unit in good condition, under any circumstances. But
I've just had - that's "had" - to have a propane boiler condenser installed,
because the oil-fed boiler cracked, and there seemed to be no one, anywhere,
who could figure out how to get a new oil boiler into the "basement," nor an
oil tank. I loathe this system, for a two-page list of reasons, not the least
of which is the substantial amount of attention one has to pay to learning all
aspects of how these systems work, including venting, freezing around flues,
danger of explosion, CO, CO2... the danger of running out of propane - that's
danger - not just an inconvenience. If I had the money - which I don't
because it all went into this replacement, and it's snowing these days - I
would have it ripped out and shredded, and I'd have the side of the house
removed if necessary to stay with oil. I'm also having eye irritation in one
section of this old small house, and I have to wonder about just what has been
introduced, and, believe me, it's not fabulous warm, dry heat, either.

If you have a basement with limited access so that a new oil tank and oil
boiler can't be brought in, I understand that. The rest of the stuff, ie
CO, explosions regarding direct vent is just FUD. There are tens of millions
operating and I haven't heard of any more incidents of these events than
occur with chimney vented. In fact, I haven't heard of a CO death from
a direct vent so far, but I have heard of plenty of them with old direct
vent furnaces that they replaced. I have a direct vent nat gas furnace,
it's cut my heating bills by more than half and no explosions or CO here.