Posted to alt.os.linux,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair
Carlos E.R.[_2_] Carlos E.R.[_2_] is offline

Default Rebooting radio in Santa Cruz mountains once a week via GitHubscript?

On 2017-11-15 08:25, ATANARJUAT wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 07:22:29 -0000 (UTC), Blake Snyder wrote

Klugey approach?

Set a WatchDog Timer reboot.

Specify an IP that won't respond to pings, set up the WatchDog timer to
ping it every 24*60*60 seconds, with a fail count of 7. (or suitable
numbers that the GUI will accept).

You could even have it ping a machine on your network somewhere that you
could take off-line when you wanted to reboot everything.

Do you know of a reasonably cheap hardware device that can monitor
something on the network, and powercycle it when needed? A watchdog that
acts on a hung device, say.

I know one or two, but they are expensive.
A timer reboot is too aggressive when a reboot is not needed.

I used transitor driven relay wired to the RTS line of a serial port.
open the serial device and the relay switches on, I used the normally-
closed contacts to interrupt the DC supply to the flakey device (said
DC supply also powered the relay)

A cron job would check the status of the internet and do "sleep 10
/dev/ttyS0" when a hard reboot was needed.

True, but I don't have any computer on that room.

Have a look at these:

http://www.hw-group.com/products/ip_...x_lite_es.html
https://www.hw-group.com/products/ip...2_Lite_en.html

They are the exact thing, but expensive for my needs.

There are domotic switches, but those I find are controlled remotely via
a phone app - however, as the device that hangs in my house is precisely
the router, there is no Internet and those switches would not work
remotely. I need something that acts on its own.

I could use an arduino, but I'd have to learn how - which might be
interesting, anyhow.

The best and cheaper seems to be switches than have the chip "ESP8266
sonoff" and can be reflashed. But again, I need to learn the procedure
and the programming.

--
Cheers, Carlos.