Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
When I started work in the stores of a factory, we were like the lowest
of the low. The company wanted to give us a slightly bigger pay rise
than everyone else. A quid a week, something like that. The union
kicked up a fuss about 'differentials', so it never happened.

You must have had an odd union. And a very shortsighted one. If management

I don't have any other union experience to compare it to, so I don't
know. In the end, I saved myself a few quid, and cancelled my
membership. A few people fell out with me, but no-one I cared about.
The meetings were pretty scary anyway - a few loudmouths dominating the
proceedings, and (since it was pre-secret ballot days) the voting. That
may explain the shortsightedness - sheer envy by a few hotheads?

offer a pay rise to one group of workers that would normally be accepted
gratefully. Then the subject of differentials brought up at the next round
of pay talks.