Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On 17/11/2017 12:21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I have brought many new graduates into the computing industry.
Back when I started doing this in the 1980's, it took about 2 years
before they started paying back - until that point they are consuming
more management/training resources than they contribute back in work.
So unless they stay for probably 4-5 years, they were only a drain on
the company. This was within a large UK company (GEC).

But back then the GEC/Marconi way was to de-skill the graduates first by
giving them completely menial tasks and then at the end of the second
year re-train then in the inefficient corporate ways.

These days you may find that with certain ways of recruitment to weed
out the dross before employment, sponsored formal training and giving
work experience in holiday periods before full time employment gets you
well motivated graduates that give productive output in a very short
time. Long gone are the days when an engineering graduate will have (or
want) the same job for life or even possibly stay with their first
company for more than a couple of years.

Even with more highly paid skilled jobs poor management will give you an
inefficient work force.

When I worked for GEC in the early 1990s failed engineers became
managers who were then promoted to a level of incompetence.