Posted to alt.home.repair

Default remove chimney and vent furnace outside

On 11/16/2017 9:14 PM, Jake wrote:
replying to trader4, Jake wrote:
It's far more than a matter of energy savings.Â* I agree that it makes
no sense
to replace a working unit in good condition, under any circumstances.Â*
But
I've just had - that's "had" - to have a propane boiler condenser
installed,
because the oil-fed boiler cracked, and there seemed to be no one,
anywhere,
who could figure out how to get a new oil boiler into the "basement,"
nor an
oil tank.Â* I loathe this system, for a two-page list of reasons, not
the least
of which is the substantial amount of attention one has to pay to
learning all
aspects of how these systems work, including venting, freezing around
flues,
danger of explosion, CO, CO2... the danger of running out of propane -
that's
danger - not just an inconvenience.Â* If I had the money - which I don't
because it all went into this replacement, and it's snowing these days
- I
would have it ripped out and shredded, and I'd have the side of the house
removed if necessary to stay with oil.Â* I'm also having eye irritation
in one
section of this old small house, and I have to wonder about just what
has been
introduced, and, believe me, it's not fabulous warm, dry heat, either.

Â* Oh quit your bitching and install a wood burning stove . Buy a
chainsaw and a splitter and cut your own fuel . You get both a warm dry
heatÂ* and the added benefit of better health . Cuttin' and splittin'
firewood is very good exercise !

Â* --

Â* Snag