Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Tarmac driveway?

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 20:26:47 +0000, bert wrote:

In article , Bill
writes
In message , Mark
Allread writes
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:13:33 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:
2. Remove the whole concrete driveway and the equally as ugly edging
stones that need replacing anyway and re-do it in tarmac instead and
edging of our choice.

Go for tarmac.

You need a good well consolidated hardcore base and the topcoat should
be 30mm of 10mm aggregate. Get them to check the whole of the proposed
base is adequate. If its being done by a 'proper' company as, indeed it
sounds, they will be able to understand the above even if you are not
sure.

A house a few doors away has just had their driveway done in tarmac with
brick edging. I think it looks great, wife thinks it isn't in keeping
with the house approach.

The company who did it appeared to be a roads contractor, and took ages
- about a month in all of intermittent work with huge lorries blocking
the road, deliveries of hardcore, various machines such as rollers, and
many days with men with barrows etc. One day a man was there with a
theodolite.

Everyone moaned about not being able to get past and the time it took
for such a small drive, but, as I say, it looks like a good job.

Do you want a good job or a quick job? Sounds like you got the former.

Puts me in mind of the computer repair shop's slogan:-

"We do good fast cheap repairs, pick any two options as per the list
below".

Good and fast... won't be cheap
Good and cheap... won't be fast
Fast and cheap... won't be good