View Single Post
  #16   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default LED bulb failed - and replaced free after 3 years

On 15/11/2017 13:48, Brian Reay wrote:
I'm unconvinced re LED lights in the domestic setting, not so much due to the life (although it is good to see a seller honouring his warranty) but more the light output.Â* We have them in our motorhome and, in the confined space, they are OK. However, we tried them in the kitchen (replacing some halogen bulbs - 2x40W halogen per fitting) and with LEDs they were hopeless. I forget the rating of the LEDs but they were, supposedly, equivalent to 40W bulbs. At a guess, they were more like 25W.

It must depend on the type of bulb and the context, because I've found the opposite. These 13W bulbs have a rated output of 1060 Lumens which is supposed to be equivalent to 75W of incandescent filament. But I've put them in places where there used to be 100W or even 150W incandescents and found them adequate, because, I think, they are not as omnidirectional. Since more of the light goes downwards which is where we need it, the effective brightness is rather similar.

But one thing I forgot to mention: the replacement LED I got has an almost identical box to the original except that (1) the price is 50% higher, and (2) the guarantee has gone down from 3 years to 2. Obviously I'm not the only one to have had a bulb fail after just over 2 years!

--
Clive Page