Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Tarmac driveway?

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Mark
Allread writes
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:13:33 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:
2. Remove the whole concrete driveway and the equally as ugly edging
stones that need replacing anyway and re-do it in tarmac instead and
edging of our choice.

Go for tarmac.

You need a good well consolidated hardcore base and the topcoat should be
30mm of 10mm aggregate. Get them to check the whole of the proposed base
is adequate. If its being done by a 'proper' company as, indeed it
sounds, they will be able to understand the above even if you are not
sure.

A house a few doors away has just had their driveway done in tarmac with
brick edging. I think it looks great, wife thinks it isn't in keeping with
the house approach.

The company who did it appeared to be a roads contractor, and took ages -
about a month in all of intermittent work with huge lorries blocking the
road, deliveries of hardcore, various machines such as rollers, and many
days with men with barrows etc. One day a man was there with a theodolite.

Everyone moaned about not being able to get past and the time it took for
such a small drive, but, as I say, it looks like a good job.

And doing it in concrete would have been a hell of a lot quicker
and just involved the a couple of hours at most with the concrete
mixer truck blocking the road and would look much better.