Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Tarmac driveway?

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/11/2017 17:41, Capitol wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
We had a major water leak under the pavement right in front of our
driveway one night a couple of months ago. A failed valve meant that it
took them over 3 hours to finally turn the water off.

Our driveway (2 cars) is made up of a single piece of concrete (sorry,
not sure of the correct terminology€¦), with some stencilled
rectangle-shaped indentations in it, all dyed in a pinkish colour€¦ A
very ugly thing indeed.
The water pressure was high enough to wash a large amount of silt and
sand from under the concrete, resulting in parts of it cracking and
collapsing by a few centimetres, leaving the driveway damaged and
uneven.

The water company agreed to do whatever it takes to bring it back to its
original condition or similar.

They sent the sub-contractor that they use to have a look at it today.
He suggested two possible solutions:
1. Remove the damaged parts (80% of the driveway - he said that they
won't approve doing the whole thing), and use concrete again to re-do.
He thinks that it would look horrible as he would never manage to
exactly match the colour and pattern.
2. Remove the whole concrete driveway and the equally as ugly edging
stones that need replacing anyway and re-do it in tarmac instead and
edging of our choice.

We are not particularly house-proud, and can happily live with the 2nd
option (he assured us that it would be done properly), but is there a
reason not to go with that? We live in a neighbourhood of around 100
houses, and none of them has a tarmac driveway€¦ Is it just a matter of
taste?

IME tarmac driveways are crap.

Why?

They look crap compared with concrete and dont last as long.

I'd agree a price with the original
contractor to remove and relay the concrete. Then split the cost with the
water company if necessary. What do your house insurers say?

Should I have mentioned it to them? Why

Because, when they have to pay to replace the original driveway
completely with a new concrete one, they are in a much better
position to make the water company pay for that.