Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default LED bulb failed - and replaced free after 3 years

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 15/11/2017 12:18, Clive Page wrote:
Nearly 3 years ago I bought several 13W LED bulbs from Messrs Ryness
lighting in Old Compton St in London. They were expensive, £11-99 each,
but I was reassured to see that they had a 3 year guarantee.

Last week one of the 3 started flickering: not a great loss of light
output, but very distracting to anyone using it and probably a sign that
it was about to fail. I had, being so doubtful about LEDs, kept the
receipt and dug it out to find it was only 2 years 11 months and three
weeks since purchase. So I took it back and I managed to persuade the
manager of Ryness to replace it. Even more amazingly, the price of these
has now gone up from nearly £12 to £18. Maybe that's because so many
have failed and had to be replaced. I have to assume that the claimed
lifetime of 50,000 hours (a decade or two at our typical usage) is just a
wild extrapolation from their testing programme and wouldn't rely on that
at all.

I'm unconvinced re LED lights in the domestic setting, not so much due to
the life (although it is good to see a seller honouring his warranty) but
more the light output. We have them in our motorhome and, in the confined
space, they are OK. However, we tried them in the kitchen (replacing some
halogen bulbs - 2x40W halogen per fitting) and with LEDs they were
hopeless. I forget the rating of the LEDs but they were, supposedly,
equivalent to 40W bulbs. At a guess, they were more like 25W.

There are plenty of 800 lumen LEDs like the Philips Hues. Not cheap tho.