Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default OT Cressida Dick wants to suppress news of terrorist attacks

On 15/11/2017 17:39, Robin wrote:
On 15/11/2017 13:13, GB wrote:
On 15/11/2017 12:22, Robin wrote:
On 15/11/2017 11:45, GB wrote:
On 15/11/2017 11:37, Robin wrote:

snip
"Cressida Dick, the Met commissioner and Britains most senior
police officer, also called for calm when covering terrorist attacks.

You must inform but not glorify and provide the platform this evil
craves, she said. You must investigate but not in a dangerous way
which disrupts the extensive efforts of the police and security
services. You must comment but not in a way that creates excessive
fear and multiplies the terror."

snip

And you have quoted the Commissioner out of context.* You omitted the
preceding sentence in which she introduces what follows as her view
of what the media already do:

"I know for you that reporting on terrorism is a fine line, a
balancing act. You must inform ..."

I honestly can't see why that is significant.

Sorry, only just spotted this.

I may have misread it but in the quote from Harry's link the
Commissioner appeared to be giving the media orders.* ("You must...")
And possibly new orders.

Oh, I see. I didn't take it that way at all. Clearly, she's in no
position to instruct the meeja what to write. I'm sure they'd have been
up in arms if she had tried.

With the sentence which preceded it she is (paraphrasing) telling them
what they already know and try to do.

It is of course also a speechwriter's device: tell the audience they
know what's right, in terms which appear reasonable, leaving them to
argue and appear unreasonable.