Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Fence orientation

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 16:10:07 -0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 16:06:44 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

The old biddie next door is now irate that I even mentioned the issue
and regards me as being "fussy".

I think (with no real source to back it up) that it's normal for the
ugly rail side to face the owner. The hit and miss type fence has
identical sides, so avoids the issue (and has lower wind loading)

I think that the usual explanation is that the "outside" face is
intended to be on the actual boundary, thus the posts are on the
owner's land.

If the posts are on the outside, they should not encroach onto
the neighbour's property. If erected this way, the owner is
actually making their enclosed space smaller.

I've just had a closer look and the nice preformed concrete post has
been placed about on the centre line of the border so about half of it
is now on my property. If I run a line between the ends of the old
sections the new sections fall slightly into my property. It is
probably not worth arguing about, we're talking inches but clearly the
handyman who did the job was careless/ignorant.

Neither he nor the neighbour asked permission to come on my property
which he did to do the fence and of course once he re-fixed it the
right way round he was "trapped" in my garden. As I noticed this
would happen I offered him a route through my garage (I don't have a
path down the side).

free fence...what is the problem? ....

The fence was already there before other workman broke a section of it
knocking her trees out.

How far would you let them encroach before you'd consider it a
problem?

well my neighbour built his or should I say mine flush with my garage that I
had carefully build on the boundary .......so the entire fence was
mine...didn't see a problem.....if I wanted to build up to the boundary I
would have just removed his...sorry ...my fence .....