Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Phone mute - how does that work

Harry Bloomfield wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Never seen that and I have been on hold quite a bit
lately due to changing various service providers, in
fact due to changing all but the local council with
some glitches with every single one.

When ringing such organisations, I normally put it on loudspeaker.

I always do with everyone except when out and about in public.

The reason I noticed it, was that the music would constantly break up.

Never seen that at all with the panasonic cordless phones or the iphones.

I traced it to the phones mike picking up noise in the room from the TV
and me moving about. I then progressed to experimenting, by tapping
the mic, whereupon it would mute and covering the mic where the music
would play without a break. The voice announcements were never muted.

So presumably that difference must be at their end.

It was annoying in as much as I thought when it went
quiet, I was about to get put through. Next time I need
to ring, I will resort to a bit of bluetack over the mic..

Weird.