Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Fixing a back box in lath and plaster wall

Yes most of my Meccano has been used for all sorts of jobs like this, and
yet its basically crap bits of old steel with holes painted various colours.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Graeme" wrote in message

We have a double socket about three feet above floor level, set in a lath
and plaster wall. Never been right since we moved in, the only fixings
being screws through the back box into the laths behind. Long story
short, only one of the screws is really secure, the others being too close
to the edge of a lath, which splits.

Today, I used a long bolt to secure a three hole strip of Meccano behind
the back box, and 'toggled' it into position such that the Meccano is
45/225 degrees behind the lath/plaster, and, when tightened, together with
a screw fixing in the opposite corner, gives a good solid fixing of the
back box. Wifey is delighted.
--
Graeme