Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Best tape for insulation repair?

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article ,
george washington m
wrote:

Q: hey whats the best tape for an insulator? Packing tape or duct
tape???

A: NO.

Of course it depends on what you are insulating against. For low
voltage DC, say 1.5 to 12 Volts, it probably does not matter.

For high voltage or RF, either tape may break down even though it had no
conductance at a lower voltage DC. Use a tape that was intended to be
an insulator against the voltage you expect it to see.

George-

Please forgive my ignorant response. I was having a bad day!

I think duct tape would be the best choice, since it was intended for a
similar purpose. My concern about packing tape, is that its adhesive
will dry out over a period of time, and it will eventually come unstuck.

Fred