C.J.

Default Should I replace a 9 year old furnace?

A properly installed, well-maintained modern furnace should last more than
20 years. Poorly installed, neglected equipment can fail in less than 5.
With that said, your 9 +/- year-old Lennox is probably nearing it's halfway
point. How long do you plan to stay in the house? If more than ten years,
you might want to replace the furnace at the same time as your evaporator
coil to take advantage of the labor savings. In my experience (20+ years,
HVAC), Lennox equipment generally holds up well over time. But, ignition
modules and blower motor replacements are not uncommon for any piece of
equipment over ten years old, and can run several hundred bucks. Forget
about efficiency payoffs and all that nonsense. Saving $50-$75/year on
utilities will eventually offset the initial expense, but it's not a good
enough reason to rip out a working appliance. A straight furnace
replacement in 5-10 years will absolutely cost much more than the additional
cost now.

Haggle with the contractor and do some research into who is best to use in
your area. You have heat, so there's no rush. Winter months are
historically much slower than summer for most gas guys, so you have a
decided advantage timing-wise. Whatever you do, make sure you get the right
job. It makes all the difference. Good Luck.
--
C.J.

Pull my pud to reply

"Bill" wrote in message
.com...
I am getting a new central A/C unit that has seen better days. It's 15+
years old, and it finally died. I was told they have to replace something
above the furnace (the condesor?). While they are here working on my
furnace, should I just get a new furnace too??

I have a Lennox furnace that is still working, but it's 9+ years old.
Manufactured in early1993.

Of course, they are offering me a package deal to also replace the furnace
if I want. Initially I said no, but I have no idea the average life
expectancy of an average furnace. If they only last 12 years (on

average),
I hate to have them back out in a year or so.

Looking for advice for anyone that was in my situation.......