Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bruce2bowser@gmail.com is offline

Default Domino capacitor with no color code

Jim Mueller wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 00:21:56 -0600, oldschool wrote:

big snip

That's deceiving. It's called a MICAmold. That would tell me that it's a
MICA cap.

another big snip

Micamold is the name of the manufacturer as several others have already
said. They made mica capacitors that were as good as anyone else's, but
they also made paper capacitors in a similar style case which are as bad
as anyone else's. Then again, they also made resistors in an elongated
version of the same case with three color dots. These need to be tested
along with all the other vintage resistors in a set. They may have made
other parts as well that I am not aware of (yet).

Other manufacturers also made paper capacitors in domino style packages;
there is a color code option identifying them.

Some mica capacitors had the value stamped on them either with ink or
pressed into the plastic. If the ink on a capacitor faded or rubbed off,
then it would be unmarked. That's where a schematic is useful.

And when a ton of stuff is stolen, misplaced, burned-to-bits or just plain missing.