Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Which knot?

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:46:50 -0800 (PST), wrote:
snip

But if you *are* talking about cats, you are very wrong mate and
that's something I've *learned* over 61 years now.

10s of millions in the UK have learnt quite the opposite

I wonder though. I wonder what percentage of them only have a cat
because ...

They aren't around enough to properly care for a dog (but can still
care for a cat?).

They live somewhere where dogs aren't allowed (but can get away with a
cat because the things are roaming about everywhere anyway).

They don't *want* the responsibility of dog ownership. The cost of
getting them chipped and the general upkeep etc? A cat is a cheap /
lazy alternative?

FWIW, more people have dogs than cats in the UK and that's even with
all the above taken into consideration (and more people having more
cats than dogs).

Ok, I could keep snakes, piranha, or a monitor lizard but I would be
considered 'reckless' if I let anyone near them (or them near any of
them, like keeping piranha in my swimming pool), without suitable
training, warning or protective equipment.

But apart from not wanting any of the above because of the risk to
others, I wouldn't consider any of them a true 'companion animal' as I
would say (typically) a dog (probably the ultimate of such). Even a

it's good that you relate to dogs. And childish to criticise people that relate to cats.

And equally childish to suggest someone can't or doesn't relate to
cats? For me it's a completely practical and real world understanding
of the pros and cons of dogs versus pretty well anything else.

pot-bellied-pig, lama, goat or horse could become a 'good companion',
especially if hand reared etc but again, it's not so easy to take your
companion lama on the train or share the sofa with a horse.

But at least none of those are likely to just attack (bite / scratch)
their 'companion' human, or their humans friend, simply for stroking
them 60 seconds too long. ;-(

And yes, I know horses can bite and pigs can be very protective of
their young but again, they don't generally just 'lash out' for no
good reason, good reason by 'our' standards of 'a friend / companion'.

I don't hate cats, I just don't think they serve any purpose, outside
maybe catching mice on a farm (and wild birds and voles etc).

They're smart enough to have worked out how to have a good life without working for us.

Nice copout.

They still do bring immense benefits,

Oh, I'm sure they do, if you don't want the depth of companionship you
get from a dog.

as just one example it's no coincidence that kiddy gangsters have pretty much always failed to bond with cats as kids.

Or bond with any animal possibly? That's all down to EQ and
opportunity.

It's the
very arrogance you seem to cite and accept from them that convinces me
they aren't for me (or many people looking for a true companion
animal').

10s of millions have cats that are true companiion animals.

Whilst they may be considered so by their 'owners', they aren't in
comparison with the depth of real companionship you can get from a
dog. Of course, like all living creatures the characters can very and
so not all dogs are the same, just as not all cats are. However, the
fundamentals are that you can (fact) do and share more stuff ITRW than
you can a cat (or budgie or hamster etc).

Is that not obvious to you?

Yes, remember, I'm the one who does know the difference and has
*chosen* the best option. I'm not stuck with something that just
turned up at my door one day.

Ok, if you can't have a dog, have something else but if you really
want a *dog*, a cat isn't a substitute (AIMHO of course). ;-)

what a silly point

It's a perfectly good a valid point to anyone who has actually had a
good dog as a companion.

p.s. If you really are a 'car whisperer' there is a very good chance
you could get your own TV show and earn a fortune from the 'carers' of
many cats who would like come say in the matter. ;-)

I don't see how.

Well, all you need to do is send a short video of you turning a
completely out_of_control cat into a good, reliable and predictable
'companion animal' in a few hours and you will have cracked it. You
can do that can't you?

Or will it just be a video of you trying to herd cats? ;-)

So, rather than just repeating why you think I'm wrong and don't 'get'
how a cat *could* appeal to someone ... why don't you tell me why I am
wrong re my choice of 'companion animal' and *how* a cat would be in
any way better than a dog (for me)?

Cheers, T i m