Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which knot?

On Monday, 13 November 2017 18:19:52 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 08:53:25 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

Ok, most that I have come across have been then.

Maybe that's their response to you. I don't normally get that.

I can't say I 'normally' get that but just often enough to know that
cats aren't what I would consider to be a good 'companion animal.

so that's often their response to you. It's not their response to me.

Maybe if poorly treated or in pain.

Well, quite possibly but as you admit in a later post, they can also
be very 'touchy', temperamental and unpredictable.

I didn't say that.

You said much of that?

"Cats are famous for their emotional state varying all over the place
quickly." .... which of course is very likely to make them 'very
'touchy', temperamental and unpredictable'.

thank you for confirming I didn't say what you said I did

Their moods just change much faster than humans,

I wasn't comparing them with humans but most other 'companion
animals'.

do you have a point?

you always need to pay attention with cats.

I could see how that might be acceptable advice if you were playing
with a tarantula or venomous snake, but they aren't really 'cuddly
pets' you would typically have loose in your house are they?

irrelevant

... Unlike cats, that will scratch or bite you, even when you are
being nice to them. ;-(

certainly isn't my experience.

Maybe you are a 'cat whisperer' in a way I generally am with all other
species of animal *except* cats.

yes

;-)

Ferals will, out of fear, but it's like anyone,

Ok ... daughter is also a backup-up dog warden and if dogs (even
loose ones) were as unpredictable as cats, I'm pretty sure she
wouldn't do it.

Few people will handle big cats.

By 'big cats' do you mean 'large domestic type cats' or actual 'big
cats'?

I mean big cats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_cat

But some can.

Ok.

if you deal with them in a way that doesn't provoke much fear then all is well.

I think you ether 'understand' animals or you don't. I have been known
to be able to pet animals that many others cant. That includes cats
btw ... till they (without me even touching them), decide to stick
their claws into me ... or bite (all be it not full power) for no
reason.

But cats do not like people that pay no mind to what they think & feel.

Well, apart from having a crystal ball, I'm not sure how one can (as
you admit in a later post). After all, isn't that part of the 'appeal'
of cats to some?

Pay attention is the key mantra with cats.

No, 'don't have them as 'companion animals' I think is more
appropriate ... well, unless you give on your own on a farm with 50 of
them etc.

Yet tens of millions of people in the uk get along just fine with domestic cats. Do you have any other stupid points to make?

Cats pay much more attention to things than people, and expect us to do likewise.

*Expect us* ... tail wagging the cat again methinks!

Fail to and people don't get along so well with them.

But why do you consider that acceptable ... unless you are willing to
parallel keeping cats along with keeping snakes or tarantula?

I accept that you have no idea

Why anyone would expect otherwise I'm not sure.

*Because*, these are supposed to be *companion animals* and so I
wouldn't *expect* it to bite or scratch me under *any* (non
threatening) circumstances.

They're gentle when they bite/scratch, unless you really **** them off.

Oh I'm sure they are (considering etc), just that it's not something
anyone should have to put up with from a 'companion animal'. Now if it
was wild and you just threw it some food now and again I would
understand it all.

I accept that you don't understand it all

It's almost always in response to people failing to pay attention.

Now if that were a dog and it happened to do the same when actually
harassed by a child (poking it's fingers in it's eyes, or climbing on
it etc) then there would be cries to have the animal destroyed because
it would be considered 'unpredictable' or 'untrustworthy' etc?

not from me, but I'm aware that some people think all animals should have unlimited tolerance of abuse from humans.

A cat does it just because you haven't realised it only wanted you
stroking it for five minutes not six, and that's considered perfectly
reasonable shrug? ;-)

Maybe the next time one jumps onto my lap I'll wait till it goes to
sleep then throw it off because *I* have just decided I've had enough?

Your choice.

Now't as strange as folk!

Very true

NT