Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Tank in loft - freezing risk

On 13/11/2017 17:45, Scott wrote:
We have a cold water storage tank in the loft, which is not properly
lagged at the moment. My neighbour is convinced there is risk of
flooding of the water freezes then thaws. The tank is made of plastic
(PVC?) not lead. The lid is loose, leaving plenty of space for
expansion. To my mind, freezing would be an inconvenience but no risk
to the integrity of the tank.

However, she also mentioned the inlet and outlet pipes. Could they
freeze and present a risk? Anyone venture an opinion?

Sods law and it will be a cold winter.

Around 25 years ago my neighbour disappeared on holiday for two weeks
over Christmas. His mother had the property next to him and also went on
the same holiday. Both houses had a lack of maintenance and I suspect no
loft or pipe insulation.

After week water started appearing from the eves on my neighbours
property. The outside stop cock was then turned off and on my neighbours
return industrial heaters were installed for a couple of weeks to dry
out the place. He sold the place a few months afterwards and the house
was completely renovated including new ceilings.

His mothers property had the same problem a few days later but this time
the water was going through the party wall of her neighbour property
(terraced housing). Unfortunately the outside stop cock for her
property was seized and the water continued to flow for a bit longer
until it could be turned off.