Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Fence orientation

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
My next door neighbour has today had a section of wooden fencing
replaced. They guy who's done it has put the posts on my side so she
has the "clean" face.

He's now turning it round so the boards are facing my side. I've just
had a word with him to ask why he'd put them differently to the fence
that was always there and he said "usually the person paying for it
chooses which way round". First time I've heard this.

The old biddie next door is now irate that I even mentioned the issue
and regards me as being "fussy".

Am I?

The posts go on the side of whoever's erecting the fence*.

As leaving aside the fact that they're encroaching on your
property if only to the extent of 4 inches, and the question
of appearance, it's also their responsibility to ensure that the
posts are regularly maintained, with preservative or whatever.

Basically you're under no obligation to maintain "their"
fence posts and so if as a result "their" fence falls onto
your property then they would be liable for any damage caused.

Neither are you under any obligation to allow them on
your property to undertake maintainence which shouldn't
be neccessary - on your side in the first place.

*In this case the asumption being that whoever erects the
fence also assumes subsequent responsibility for it. Regardless
of what it may, or may not say, in the deeds.

michael adams