Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default The uk.d-i-y quick quiz

SteveE wrote:

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:46:52 -0000
"NY" wrote:

I imagine that paternosters are good where some people are going to
all the floors and therefore a conventional lift would have to stop
at each (with deceleration and acceleration at each floor), but are
very slow if most of the people are going from the ground to the top
floor, and therefore the paternoster has to go slowly (for safety of
people who might have been getting on/off at each floor) where a
conventional lift could accelerate to a faster speed when bypassing
the intermediate floors. And also they are not good if a lot of
people want to get on/off and have to all do so within a fairly small
window of time while the lift floor is still within jumping distance
of the building floor.

A little like the underground really. If you couldn't get in one,
another would be along. In a few seconds in this case.

Because only so many people could get on and off in the limited time
available they weren't as crowded as a conventional lift car could be.

I only remember it running at a fixed speed but there were never long
queues as there were quite a few lift cars in the chain.

Yes, they only ever ran at a fairly steady speed, since it had to
be safe for people getting on and off at any time.

Our cars were only supposed to carry a maximum of two passengers.
It would have been a challenge (which some no doubt accepted) to
get more on and off in the time available.

The biggest problem with flow was that, since lecture times were
pretty standard, everyone wanted to move at the same time. At
intermediate floors it could be rather like trying to spot a gap
on a busy motorway. They would no doubt have been much better in
locations which had less peaky demand.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK