Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soldering fuel tank patch

On Monday, 13 November 2017 13:28:25 UTC, wrote:
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 12:18:01 +0000, Muddymike
wrote:

Why do you think POR15 or similar wont work? I have used "Frosts Tank
slop" which I believe is the same thing in a Land rover tank a SPO had
attempted to seal with something else. I used the chain method along
with some brick cleaner to clean it out and it remained leak free for
the ten years I kept the vehicle.

Mainly because of the poorly adhering resin already in the tank. I
don't preclude the idea.

When you used brick acid did it not react with the steel? I have tried
citric acid so far and an attempting to get the broken pieces of resin
out.

I too have successfully used POR15 on my 101 tank, I first heated it
to separate the solder holding the carrier from the tank, cleaned the
inside with the cleaner from the POR15 kit, wired brushed back to
steel and then brazed obvious holes and applied a thin fibreglass
scrim and epoxy which also glued it to the carrier. I then treated it
with the POR15 and it held up till I sold the LR. It was quite
expensive though, which is why I thought solder may be better and
cheaper.

AJH

Brick acid works to derust steel. It will attack steel, but by the time the rust is gone and you take it out there isn't a noticeable amount of attack. Leave it longer at your peril.

NT