Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Friday, 10 November 2017 18:18:54 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/11/2017 15:12, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 9 November 2017 14:54:23 UTC, T i m wrote:

So are you asking why it's currently showing ~700 W or why it's
fluctuating around 700W

Yes why is a 2KW heater only drawing 700W when fully on, if it was up
to temperatury I'd expect it to disconneced with a bimetalic strip or
something more advanced and would be 0W not 700W.

It would suggest it is not "fully on". It might be that the stat does
not fully disconnect both elements - perhaps just the 1300W one. If that
were the case it would cycle between ~2kW and 700W during normal operation.

Note also that some heaters are configurable. I found some wall mounted
2kW fan heaters I ordered a while back actually ran at a default max of
1kW unless you set an internal switch to allow the full 2kW.

That seems to be true with bathroom down heaters but not with others.