Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Saturday, 11 November 2017 15:10:34 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 08/11/2017 12:25, whisky-dave wrote:

As some might have read we've been supplied with a number of oil filled radaitors

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel0...ack/dp/HG00575

So I unpacked them and installed them, one by one.

In an attempted to trip our 32 amp circuit braker I would have thought that 5 would have done it, but they didn't.

On switch on they started at about 1.6KW (using an old maplin power meter)
I left them fully on, that's the highest setting .

The lab voltage dropped from the 220V to about 202V so that accounts for it I guess.

But what realy suprised me was the power consumption of a radiator when it was full on, anyone care to guess what it was.

Voltage 202

The fact that the voltage drops to 202V suggests that the wiring is a
little bit suspect.

How ?
Surely it's just basic ohms law, although the department did have one of those autotransformers installed a few years ago they are meant to save money by reducing the voltage slightly I think.

I thought even on extention leads that the voltage drop increased us the current went up pretty basic stuff I thought.