Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default The uk.d-i-y quick quiz

Andy Burns wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

I’ve ridden in a paternoster, but not with a priest. ;-)

Over the top (or under the bottom)?

Both ;-)

We had one at Salford University, commissioned in 1967, after
quite a delay whilst the fire authorities sorted out necessary
precautions. The chemistry students had to be forbidden from
jumping on with arms full of glassware.

Ah, the heady days of the sixties. The architects had provided a
bench seat on each floor immediately opposite the paternoster.
The place was full of female language students, hemlines were
very high, and as the car rose, you popped up at floor level.
Views in the tower block were interesting.

Going over the top, though frowned upon, _had_ to be done It
was a little unnerving, as it got noisier and there was a bit of
vibration, being near the drive motors, but not actually as
hazardous as getting on and off normally. On each floor there was
a hinged flap. so that overhanging feet were not chopped. As the
top area was solid, there was a flap which operated a trip
switch, which was regularly operated.

Some wag went over the top and emerged standing on his head.

The whole block is now demolished, the space left appearing far
too small ever to have contained it, whilst the somewhat similar
Sheffield Arts Tower is listed!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK