Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Asking a quick question to doublecheck clutch engagement in pedal travel

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 21:54:48 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
wrote:

He who is Dean Hoffman said on Sun, 12 Nov 2017 07:41:13 -0600:

Why not try adjusting it to see what happens? Mark the nut and rod
with a Sharpie or a paint marker. You'll be able to keep track of how much
you've changed things and will be able to return them to their original
position.

It's great advice where disconnecting the pedal from the pushrod isn't hard
at all, but, upside down with only one elbow getting in there and not a lot
of light either, is harder than you might think.

I have to say it took me about as long to connect that pushrod as it took
to bench bleed the clutch release cylinder, which was at least an hour
each.

Bench bleeding sounds so simple, but the hose falls off, the fluid leaks
all over, the jar tips over, etc.. Once you get the technique down, you can
bleed in a few minutes but it takes you an hour to get the technique right,
and you have to make your own plugs, which took me another hour because the
first two types leaked under pressure.

In perfect hindsight, I would recommend two things for bench bleeding that
I didn't have on hand.

1. A VERY SOFT clear hose on the end (last half inch), connected to a VERY
HARD clear hose in the middle (next five inches). Mine was too hard on the
end to seal against the bleed screw and too soft and slippery on where my
hand held it down to allow me to put force on it to make it seal.

2. Extra bleed screws (three would be perfect because the clutch release
cylinder needs two and the clutch master cylinder needs two but you already
have one).

Have any of you bench bled these things?
It's all technique ... which if you have wrong ... it's just a mess.
(ask me how I know this)

Bench bleeding a BRAKE master is important. Bench bleeding a clutch
master is generally just a waste of time - and the slabe usually a
total waste. With no "residual pressure" valve, MOST hydraulic
clutches will almost totally "gravity bleed". Won't work if the slave
is higher than the master - or at least the reservoir.