Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sockets on Different Phases ?

On 12/11/2017 22:47, newshound wrote:
On 12/11/2017 22:20, Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/11/2017 14:50, Robin wrote:
On 11/11/2017 13:49, Steve Walker wrote:

Ah, fair enough. But each indicator should be labelled anyway.
Coloured indicators for each phase will still appear lit or not to a
colour blind person, so noworse for them than them all being white.

Incidentally though, it is normal on many control panels for green and
red lights to be used for running and stopped. Many people are
red/green colour blind, so they have to look harder at labels.

On screen control systems often have devices or valves that are green
for running or open and red for stopped or closed. I wonder how many
operators are tested for colour blindness?

I was involved in the design of some new control kit in the 2000's and
the then mandatory Human Factors assessment lady more or less vetoed any
coloured lights.

She shouldn't have been doing. She should have been requiring other ways
that a colour blind person could get the information (such as
labelling), but not removing the best and quickest way for non-colour
blind operators to get that same information. A red/green indication can
be spotted from across the room, labelling and the like can't.

SteveW