Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sockets on Different Phases ?

On 11/11/2017 14:50, Robin wrote:
On 11/11/2017 13:49, Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/11/2017 12:31, Robin wrote:
On 11/11/2017 11:46, charles wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Bob Minchin wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/11/2017 14:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
Grey, really?
Â*Â* Brian

Yes, Grey. A compromise, as the original harmonization suggestion
was to
have three phase wired using three black cores!

SteveW

Yes, an absolutely mad decision making it impossible to have any
illuminated indicators in the phase colours

how about 1, 2 & 3?

I thought colours ought not to be relied upon anyway - unless users
all airline pilots, train drivers or others known not to be colour-blind

An electrician who is colour blind will presumably know it and use
other methods for identification, for the rest following a colour in
and out of junction boxes, isolators, etc. is the normal way.

yes but I had in mind not cable but the "illuminated indicators"

Ah, fair enough. But each indicator should be labelled anyway. Coloured
indicators for each phase will still appear lit or not to a colour blind
person, so noworse for them than them all being white.

Incidentally though, it is normal on many control panels for green and
red lights to be used for running and stopped. Many people are red/green
colour blind, so they have to look harder at labels.

On screen control systems often have devices or valves that are green
for running or open and red for stopped or closed. I wonder how many
operators are tested for colour blindness?

In passing I'm not sure how many colour-blind electricians are trained
these days.Â* The JIB used to require a medical certificate to show
"absence of colour blindness in order to carry out the role to the
degree necessary to ensure no impediment to safe working and in
accordance with disability discrimination law" which left me not much
wiser.Â* Employers are under a duty to assess the risks of any employee
who works with colour coded stuff.Â* I don't know about insurance for
self-employed sparks.

From the quick look that I've done. Good colour vision still seems to
be required for apprentices, but not for people who work as electricians
and may have gained qualifications and experience without being an
apprentice.

SteveW