Posted to alt.home.repair
harry newton harry newton is offline

Default Asking a quick question to doublecheck clutch engagement in pedal travel

He who is Clare Snyder said on Sun, 12 Nov 2017 14:26:20 -0500:

Man is born ignorant. Remaining ignorant is a conscious choice.

I'm trying not to be ignorant so I would like to ask you a question about
the clutch slave cylinder bench bleeding process.

I admit I made an entire sloppy messy slippery mess of the whole process,
which easily took me an hour until I got a technique down right that worked
in a few minutes.

My first big mistake was in not knowing I needed extra bleed screws so I
had to make my own, none of which worked very well.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/12/x0.jpg

My second mistake was in not being able to fill the clutch slave release
cylinder with fluid because you it doesn't have a nice reservoir like the
clutch master cylinder has:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/12/x1c3a6f.jpg

My third mistake was that you have to somehow pre-fill the hose with fluid
without losing that fluid when you connect it because the clutch slave
cylinder just doesn't hold a lot of fluid.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/12/x2.jpg

Not pictured is the 15-minute washing of my eyes (clutch fluid burns, and
do not ask me how I know that) because I didn't wear goggles and the first
press of the clutch slave cylinder with a phillips screwdriver squirts far
more powerfully than you might think it does!

So I took another fifteen minutes to fashion a catch jar out of a Costco
gummibears vitamin jar where the hose was too short (because I had cut it
to make the clutch master cylinder loop prior):
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/12/x3.jpg

Where finally I got the job done by hooking the funnel on the end of the
hose and just holding that up in the air with one hand and then pushing in
the clutch slave cylinder piston with a phillips screwdriver (not pictured
because I was using both hands at the time).

All that effort was wasted, because it's not easy getting the clutch slave
cylinder back on the car without losing all that fluid anyway, so, in the
end, it was a total waste of time to bench bleed the clutch slave cylinder
because my technique was just all wrong.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/12/x4.jpg

So I have to ask for your advice on technique.

Given that bench bleeding the clutch master cylinder is a piece of cake
compared to bench bleeding the clutch slave cylinder, and given that
reinstalling the clutch master cylinder is also a piece of cake compared to
the clutch slave cylinder, and given that the clutch master cylinder
reservoir handles a lot of drips but not the clutch slave cylinder.......

Would you ever recommend bench bleeding the clutch slave cylinder?