Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default nuisance trip central vac breaker

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 08:04:25 -0500, John McGaw
wrote:

On 11/11/2017 3:16 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
We have a Canavac XLS970 central vac unit ( replacing our original
Beam) with an 8.4 inch dual stage Ametec-Lamb motor rated at 13.4amps.
It is running on about 50 frrt of AWG14 Romex on a 15 amp breaker.
Sporadically, on initial startup, it will pop the breaker (Square D
QO15). Upon further investigation, reading Square D's information, I
found they make a "high magnetic" 15 amp breaker for "high performance
loads" like AC, CwntralVac, and microwave applications with a high
"pull-in" current.

Nobody in Ontario has the darn things in stock - Rona did, but since
being taken over by Lowes, they no longer even have them available.

I could wait 'till next week and have the electrical supply order me
one in - but I wanted to fix it NOW --

Turns out the 240 volt (double polet) 15 amp QO breakers are ALL High
Magnetic - and I had a spare one, and a spare slot in my panel - so
I've replaced the single pole with the double pole - we will see what
happens,

Just thought you guys might be interested in knowing the little
tid-bit about the "high magnetic" breaker fix for intermittent
nuisance tripping

I had to put a high-trip mag breaker on one circuit which was serving my
shop dust collector. Around here it was a matter of going to the nearest
big-box store -- both Lowe's and Home Depot had them available -- and this
is in a decidedly less populated area than Ontario.

Home Despot Canada doesn't carry them at all. Nor does Lowes Canada.
Rona Canada used to carry them, Rona was recently absorbed by Lowes.
Home Despot in the USA apparently DOES carry them but both Buffalo and
Detroit are about 3 hours away.

In Quebec Reno Depot carries the high magnetic breakers in their
stores. That's well over a 5 hour drive.