Posted to alt.home.repair
harry newton harry newton is offline

Default Asking a quick question to doublecheck clutch engagement in pedal travel

He who is Iggy said on Sun, 12 Nov 2017 03:44:05 GMT:

Yes, you agreed with my conclusion that he needed a clutch-job and no fooling
around with the pedal. And FYI, Volvo, Ford, Honda, etc. all had cables as
well as both cylinders at some time. I tried to cover all bases with no year,
make, model, pictures nor experience level known. But, to say the clutch isn't
a system and you'd only pop in a new clutch disk is ridiculous, foolish and
professionally irresponsible.

Since there is this discussion which I didn't understand at first, I just
now did some looking up on this cable things where it seems there are two
completely different clutch systems.
1. mechanical
2. hydraulic
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/1799/difference-between-mechanical-and-hydraulic-clutches#1818

Where it says, with respect to adjusting:
"Mechanical clutches have a cable for actuation, and typically
need adjusting throughout the life of the clutch. Hydraulically
actuated clutches tend to be self-adjusting"