Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 18:04:48 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 09/11/2017 16:15, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 14:54:48 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

Starting a sentence with "So" is a totally unnecessary and annoying
affectation.
So what?

See, it does change the meaning sometimes ...

That may be the only example of valid usage. There may be other valid
usage cases but I can't think of any right now so I'll leave it to
others to provide additional examples if they care enough to make the
effort.

So that it is clear for everyone, give an example.

(see what I did there?)

I did. However, since it implies "Just so" as the starting words, it's a
sloppy example. Close but no cigar. :-)

So after all this searching for valid examples, we seem no closer to
finding any more than that excellent "So What?" example above (see what I
did *there*?). :-).

Just so I can get back to the question raised by the OP[1], I feel I
should mention that my own oil filled radiator, a 2.5KW SilverCrest
example bought last year from Aldi/Lidle, uses a 4 position rotary
selector switch to provide heating levels of zero (off) 800W, 1200W and
2000W, all under the control of an adjustable thermostat. Furthermore, in
addition to the oil heating element power level options, it includes a
500W fan heater not controlled by any thermostat other than by the
standard overheat cut out stat which is operated independently of the oil
heater circuitry by a simple on/off switch with its own neon indicator.

The plastic power level selector and thermostat control knobs have a
smooth satin finish which makes the power selector switch awkward to
operate for lack of 'grip'. It is notable that the (10A rated) 2 metre
Silicone rubber mains lead becomes a little warmish only after switching
on the fan heater when running on the 2KW maximum setting. I'm guessing
the additional 10 watts or so dissipated in the mains lead must have been
considered as a "bonus source of additional heat" by the designers. :-)

Obviously, the oil heater section will draw the power selected by the
power selector switch until the thermostat cuts out (assuming the stat
was set for an achievable temperature).

[1] This thread has become rather disjointed in my news client (Pan) to
the extent that I wasn't able to locate the OP to check the original
question. However, it looks like he, as best as I can tell, was querying
why the use of 5 similar type oil heaters were tripping out a 45A circuit
breaker.

Since the heater elements have virtually a zero temperature coefficient
of resistance, there's no issue of cold switch on surge loading to
contend with so the only other variables are the chosen power settings
and the effect of the thermostat switching the heating element(s) load on
and off.

A gander at the rating plate should tell him all he needs to know
(notably, the maximum power rating and the nominal voltage - typically
since harmonisation, 230v). In some cases, the label may even show a
second higher wattage rating for 240v. In any case, since the heating
elements are a fixed resistance value, it's a fairly trivial task to
calculate the 240v loading from the 230v figures if more precision is
needed.

--
Johnny B Good