Eric Tonks

Default slope ceiling vs raised ceiling

As you have discovered by talking to contractors -- it is all personal taste
and opinion. Go for what YOU want not what others want you to go for.

"mark charon" wrote in message
om...
hello,
my mom is adding 2 rooms to her house and the architect has drawn a
plan which calls for a 9' coffer ceiling.
one contractor says that a slope ceiling is better while the other
says that a raised ceiling is better.

the slope ceiling will look something like this:

__________________
/ \ --- this is the ceiling with slopes.
| |
| | --- this is the wall

the raised ceiling will look something like this:

----------------
__I I__ --- this is the ceiling; it doesn't have
a slope
| |
| | ---- this is the wall

are there advantages or disadvantages to each type?
mom would like her ceiling to be about 9 ft high so that the room
looks spacious. in her case the cost would be roughly the same.
one contractor says that with the raised ceiling, she can put crown
molding around the ceiling but with the slope you can' t do much so it
won't look as nice. but another contractor says that slope ceiling
will make the rooms look more spacious.
the rooms are about 14x17 and 12x12.

does anyone have suggestions?

thank you in advance.