Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asking a quick question to doublecheck clutch engagement in pedaltravel

On 11/11/2017 2:54 PM, harry newton wrote:
He who is Clare Snyder said on Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:19:54 -0500:

If the clutch engages late in the pedal uplift cycle, if I want the
clutch
to engage sooner, do I move the master cylinder rod locknut stop point
toward the firewall, or toward the driver's foot?

How tall is the driver?

*Neither. The adjustment* needs to be made at the slave cyl end - if
adjustment is even possible.* Most current vehicles are "self
adjusting" - in which case you need a new clutch.

Thanks for your advice, which I appreciate, and where I relize I provided
no pictures so everyone had to guess, which won't help so here are some
photos.

Here is the clutch slave cylinder:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/11/8.jpg

Here is a picture of the only adjustment there is in the clutch
mechanism:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/11/5.jpg

To get rid of a spongy feel, I rebuilt the slave cylinder:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/11/4.jpg

And I rebuilt the clutch master cylinder:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/11/1.jpg

And then I bench bled both:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/11/2.jpg

Using high quality DOT 4 fluid:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/11/3.jpg

But the clutch now suddenly engages late in the pedal uplift cycle.

There is nothing that can be adjusted at the slave cylinder.
The only adjustment is the bolt that attaches the clutch pedal to the
clutch master cylinder.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/11/6.jpg

The only adjustment there is to twist the rod and lock it in place
with the
locknut.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/11/7.jpg

But which way engages the clutch sooner?

* Shorten the rod . BUT as Clare said , some are self-adjusting and it
may come right back to where you are now . I had an 89 Chevy p/u that
never really released the clutch properly , even after slave/master
replacement . I figure the arm was bent inside the bell housing or
something . FWIW I discovered with that truck that the best way to get
ALL the bubbles out of the system was to pump fluid in thru the slave
bleed port . Pushes them up to the master , a direction they want to go
anyway .

* --

* Snag