Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill[_14_] Bill[_14_] is offline

Default Odd Quote Response on 4140HT

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:23:27 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

Well I know of one metal vendor who is also a fabrication shop (many are),
and has said to people out of the side of his mouth that every piece of
metal he sells is a job he didn't get. His price for metal seems to reflect
that. My first thought was the salesman was trying to get a lead on a
client he could steal from me. Then I considered that 4140 is one of the
metals commonly used for firearms parts, but its pretty easy to get. You
can buy it on-line from half a dozen sources. I was just trying to keep my
business as local as I can. So far my best price from a stocking
distributor is out of Oklahoma. LOL Even including freight to Yuma.

I did get a local source who said they could get a "master plate" at a petty
good price, but its bigger than I can lift or cut. Their cut prices were
outrageous. Even if I bought the whole plate.

I'm not a contractor; but I'd agree with what your gut is telling you.
They're phishing for info with an eye for finding out who your customer
might be.

Step 2 - if they liked the job, then they'll under bid you.

--
Email address is a Spam trap.