Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default washers/cisterns

bm wrote:

bm wrote:

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
bm wrote:

"Cherie Plum" wrote in message
news side entry inlet on cistern was slightly leaking. I undid the nut
and
could see a broken washer so after googling and studying I bought
some
fibre washers and screwed it all up and water rushed out of the
back
of
the nut. I redid it lots and once it almost held before gushing
out.
tried teflon tape but that was worse
more googling and I wonder if I cross threaded the plastic pipe
(how
would I know visually?)
Off I went and bought an isolator and fitted that even cutting
the
pipe
myself! Now I could have my water on.
Tomorrow I will have another go.
Whats the odds of two fibre washers working?
A rubber one?
or will I need to buy a new fill valve?

Personally I'd go for rubber, fibre are a tad hard if mating
surfaces
are
touch off kilter.
By isolator do you mean a "stop-end"?
Plastic pipe i've never used but surely you would have felt a cross
thread?
As a last resort I'd try maybe 2 rubber washers (3 if there's
room),
PTFE
tape and careful tightening.
Plastic (new fill valve) is fairly expensive -

I had a cistern prob last weekend with a remote flush button, it
wouldn't
flush.
Looked on google images, found the correct image which gave me the
manufacturer.
Phoned and collected a new one, bingo.
~£36 for a chromed plastic button + gubbins.
Oh Crikey (Billy Bunter), that equates to ~7 x fish'n'chips around
here

Good luck with it.

I'd dearly love to see a rubber washer for a (metal as opposed to
plastic) tap connector. Where on earth do you get such a thing?

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/connectingtaps.htm

You suggest that it's impossible? To save a few quid i'd produce one.
Why else would I buy sheet rubber (neoprene) from ebay? e.g, -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-NEO...-FOAM-RUBBER-S
HEET-V
ARIOUS-SIZES-THICKNESSES/261338185781?hash=item3cd8f84035:m:m3rMjsUn
B8r3DA ysqd0xZlA It's prolly a family thing, if a door handle broke
my old chap would spend a day or so making a replacement. Us 'olds'
don't tend to
consider the cost of free time.

Don't you also have to make up circular punches to cut them? What
thickness neoprene do you suggest and can I borrow your punches?

I don't for a moment suggest it is impossible, just that I've been
unable find them on sale. Along with heat resistant drain-valve
washers.

Circular punches? Not beyond the wit of man, really.
I forget that you kids need to buy off the shelf.

Given a fortnight and dire necessity I could probably make a circular
punch. And even harden it perhaps! Traditionally used for leather, I
wonder if you need to make a size adjustment to get the right size hole
in neoprene?

No need to harden, how many dozen do you need? Just a piece of wood
underneath.
If you sharpen your pipe so it cuts on the outside, neoprene pretty much
comes out right.

That's useful to know. Have you tried a concentric dual punch for
washers - might be better for very narrow ones?

--

Roger Hayter