Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why are 12v battery chargers to unreliable

"Ignoramus30995" wrote in
message ...

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I bought the Harbor Freight 99857 to install in my truck and was
satisfied that it worked as intended, although I decided to use solar
power instead so I can't tell you if it lasts outdoors.
https://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp...ner-99857.html

I personally like having voltmeters on batteries or easily connected
to them so I can tell when they need attention. Cigarette lighter
outlets and a meter like this work well.
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-B.../dp/B000EVWDU0

Charging everything on a schedule like the start of each month reduces
the time power cords are out to trip on or damage. Old batteries need
more frequent topping off to keep them from falling into the high
resistance condition called sulfation.

They also need an ammeter to show if they aren't accepting a charge
despite apparently correct charger output voltage, which might be your
real problem. A solar panel charger forces current at whatever voltage
is necessary. The danger is their open circuit voltage 20V which
could damage electronics if the battery refuses to accept charge
current.

I solve it by increasing the charge voltage above 15V from home-made
adjustable linear regulator chargers with these meters.
https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-voltage...v+3.000A+meter

"Lab" or "bench" adjustable power supplies will work if the user knows
how.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...rial/318022011

My 2x100W Grape Solar panels arrived and are producing 140W right now,
9AM EST, equal to or slightly more than the APC1400, this laptop, its
19" external monitor and the fridge consume on average, according to
charge and discharge wattmeters. They are already at their rated MPP
current with the sun only 15 degrees up.

-jsw