Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cherie Plum Cherie Plum is offline

Default washers/cisterns

On 10/11/2017 23:39, Roger Hayter wrote:
Cherie Plum wrote:

side entry inlet on cistern was slightly leaking. I undid the nut and
could see a broken washer so after googling and studying I bought some
fibre washers and screwed it all up and water rushed out of the back of
the nut. I redid it lots and once it almost held before gushing out. I
tried teflon tape but that was worse
more googling and I wonder if I cross threaded the plastic pipe (how
would I know visually?)
Off I went and bought an isolator and fitted that even cutting the pipe
myself! Now I could have my water on.
Tomorrow I will have another go.
Whats the odds of two fibre washers working?
A rubber one?
or will I need to buy a new fill valve?

I presume the tail of the valve attached to the cistern is plastic. I
also presume that it is the nut connecting the pipe to the fitting, not
the nut holding the valve onto the cistern that is leaking. (If it was
the nut holding the vakve ti the cistern then your problem would
probably be the water level - a separate issue.)

Now if the pipe to the cistern and the nut are also plastic that is a
different issue too - you probably need a new plastic nut and fitting.

But if the nut is metal and part of a so-called tap connector fixed to
the pipe with a solder or compression fitting (and you presumably still
have it on the cut off bit of pipe) then try screwing this nut and tap
connector onto the plastic valve tail *without any washer*. If it
screws up fairly smoothly by hand until the tap connector is held fairly
tightly then you haven't cross threaded it and just check the flat
surface of the end of the tap tail is not scratched or damaged (new
valve, not too expensive, is needed if it is). And check the annular
part of the tap connector on the pipe is nice and smooth where the
washer goes. If so, it should really work if you get the right washer.
It is a 1/2" (almost certainly) tap connector washer (not a tap
washer) and is only about 1.5 mm wide so it fits inside the nut without
interference and over the 15mm pipe. It is called 1/2" but the outside
diameter is about 18mm. Historical reasons!

If however the nut of the tap connecter will not screw up tight on the
plastic tail of the valve by hand, or at most with something to grip it
but not needing a long spanner, then you need a new valve because it is
cross threaded. Seeing you've cut the pipe I'd get a new valve and a
new tap connector, and the relevant washers (for the joint to the
cistern and for the tap connector) although they may be included I'd
spend few pence for spares. With new parts it can't go wrong! Don't
screw up the tap connector with a big spanner, finger tight plus a
quarter of a turn max should do.

It will help if you confirm which parts are plastic and which metal, and
the diameter of the pipe and the valve tail for the next person to
answer.

Thanks for your very informative reply
It is a copper 15mm pipe screwing onto a plastic ballcock and arm , It
was squeaking a lot as I screwed it on . In bed now so will check it all
out tomorrow after work and will try it without the washer. The tap
connector is an sort of right angled one and connected to the down pipe
I cut with a seized on connector. probably need a vice to get it off
which I don't have. I could I suppose cut a new piece of pipe to fit a
new tap connector or thinking maybe use a flexible pipe I have in toolkit.
Having plenty of spare parts is something I learned today that I should
have kept in store.

---